Sunday, August 26, 2007

What Now? After over a year of (very sporadic) posting, I am finally writing a spontaneous post (cut-and-paste from Word never seemed to protect me from awkward grammar and spelling anyway)! I wanted to comment on this project, as I have been trying for some time now to decide whether to scrap it entirely or carry on with it in some other form. I should start by saying: I really don't read blogs or think much of them. I used a blog because the template was there (thanks Blogger.com, now another piece of Google or whatever)...I remember as an adolescent even, writing in a teenage journal "there is something untrustworthy about diarists" and I still tend to feel this way, with the exception of those who acknowledge the medium's inherent self-surveillance and turn the diary into an effective public vehicle. I am not one of those people. Which is to say that this whole affair was something of a Trojan Horse. It never became a 'free forum' because mostly there were few postings. That's my fault I suspect, as have never been a wizard at promotion and did little to spread the word. I did not have the time (the miraculous time of the committed blogger) to keep up with shows the way I wanted to, and the one and only proper submission I received languished until it was no longer timely (belated apologies, Melanie!) So the invitation was rather limited in scope and follow-through. The other big point I ought to make is that despite posing as a group project, this blog was a pet project, a bully pulpit, and I think I (and you) would have enjoyed it more if I'd owned up to that and just relished the role of the bully a bit more. Victoria really has had all its needs met in the hand-wringing school of art criticism, and a little bullying could be a good thing, I think. So what now? I would love to invite suggestions. I still feel that our alternative magazines mostly publish promotional or expository writing rather than criticism (no harm there, it's just not criticism), and that the Times Colonist is mostly giving us point of view and lifestyle articles rather than framing a debate that presumes an involved (rather than speculative) reader. I have wondered about a self-published broadsheet (if I added up every time somebody has mentioned that "people really like to have something they can hold in their hands" it would only just equal the number of times I have reached this conclusion myself), but have to underscore here that I'm not really an organizer or editor, but a freelance contributor. If somebody else sets up the forum, I'll gladly write on everything going...I have also heard some suggestion of an online alternative arts & culture magazine for Victoria. Finally, there are venues abroad, such as Vancouver's Filip, or national newspapers and magazines for reviews of high-profile shows (this recently came to mind when I started making notes for a review of the AGGV's Robert Youds retrospective). The question I guess I have is whether there can be a venue for writing about art in Victoria that Victorians actually care about (or is this the question at all?) I would like to finish by saying that I am still very excited by what I have observed since coming back to Victoria in the fall of 2003. I think something quite interesting has started to happen here, and would like to see more recognition of the younger artists involved, and perhaps more crucially, some attempt to reconcile the work of younger artists and collectives with that of more established artists and teachers who have in many cases only begun to exhibit their work conspicuously locally in the last handful of years. And to hear from all of these people- the ones that are doing it at a running deficit as well as the ones who receive grants and jobs- is most desirable, to suppose that there is a debate worth involving one's self in, to choose sides, even should one choose the losing side (of course the critic, in my view, always loses as a matter of course). It is all more stimulating and worthwhile.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article.

I appreciate your optimistic tone. Although there is still much progress to be made in getting people off the couch and into the galleries, things are undoubtedly far better than they were even five years ago.

Yes, there are more venues and more co-operation--not only within venues but within artists from a variety of backgrounds. One only has to look at a few recent events, the 48 Hour Factory at the Victoria Event Centre and the Workbench and LOFOARFA - Indoor Summer Art Fair events at Open Space.

Sadly, while UVic owns swaths of valuable Downtown real estate, none of it is dedicated to showing the work of its own contemporary fine arts students or faculty. UVic has opened the Legacy Gallery, a swank gallery/cafe, it is contractually obligated to show primarily works from the Williams estate, a thin slice of Victoria art history.

I can't help but mention that the MoCL resides on the Oaklands side of the Fernwood/Oaklands neighbourhood border. Fortunately, no passport or visa is required if one wishes to venture across to The Laundromat With No Name.

Anonymous said...

I would encourage you to continue this form of Fault Line. Yes, it needs more frequent posts and it needs more exposure. One potential benefit is that the blog allows for a broader discussion of the arts scene in Victoria between more people. Another benefit is that there is zero lag time between writing a piece and publishing it. Distribution is also instantaneous, for the most part a non-issue and essentially global. These are all features of the blog-type forum that can't be achieved readily with a traditionally published broadsheet.

If I'm not mistaken, the text of this post first appeared in MIX magazine. By posting it here, I think you see some value to this type of forum, at least as an adjunct to the published forum.

In response to Robert's comment, while UVic owns swaths of Downtown real estate, they have neither the money nor the know-how to use it effectively to enhance the arts community. Nor is that UVic's primary mission. Open Space, MoCL, 50/50 and Slideroom are all more effective initiatives to expand and enhance opportunities for contemporary artists to exhibit their work. There have been many shows at each of these venues that have generated a strong discourse on the arts.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and some wags suggest Open Space is already UVic's de facto satellite gallery.


The other venues are crucial, invaluable, respected and deeply appreciated but lack the clout, economic and otherwise that a major university provides. It's a tangible symbol of the value a university and a city places on art. As a capital city we deserve better.

A worthy model is UBC's Belkin Satellite in Downtown Vancouver.

Millions of dollars worth of property from the Williams estate was sold, the proceeds were to go to the arts and sciences. How much went to the Legacy Gallery and to the creation of the $70,000 bronze statue of Williams outside Swan's Hotel and Pub (itself a self-sustaining cash cow for UVic).

Can it be said that the Williams bequest is effectively enhancing the visibility and viability of contemporary visual art?

But John's article was not about criticizing the venues we wished we had; it was an appreciation of the venues we do have.

Anonymous said...

Interesting commentary, John. I'm reading this with one eye on your next article, which you say was written for Mix magazine.

Now, I've never heard of Mix, but I have heard of you -- courtesy of our mutual friend Rob Randall. And while many people do like to hold something in their hands when they read, I bet there are many who, like me, get their information fast, online, in real time, on a rolling basis (something that came up on a Vibrant Victoria forum thread, too, btw, in regard to finding out about current events at, say, GVPL -- if you have to wait for print schedules or monthly announcements, it's already too late).

The thing with this blogging business is that it's not broadcast media. You're not in a position of power to broadcast your message or information to an audience that has no choices.

But what audiences want are conversations, which bloggers willingly facilitate. They can't broadcast -- the MSM (mainstream media) do that, which is why they're typically so dismal, too -- but bloggers can disseminate. In turn, the real power of citizen journalism (non-broadcast style) comes from aggregating.

My mantra is aggregate, aggregate, aggregate. A bunch of solo practitioners (whether bloggers or indie artists or whatever) stirring their own individual little pots of stew don't add up to a "robust" (to use Helen Marzolf's wonderful term) meal -- nor to the critical conversation around the table, a criticism you so correctly point out is missing.

I'd encourage you to keep at it, to link to as much stuff as possible, and -- very important -- to use already-in-place aggregating tools. For example, Facebook: I know about you through Rob, and because you & Rob are Facebook friends, you and I became FB friends. Being your FB friend in turn allowed me see your "update" status when I clicked over to my FB account this morning (for those who aren't using FB yet: once you're "friends" with someone, you read their updates and notes and changes in a sidebar on your own page -- it keeps you up to date with what your friends are doing; Twitter, another social networking tool and essentially social aggregator tool, works the same way but has a sketchier visual interface). Because your update read: "John Luna is Distrusting the whole undertaking of blogging (http://faultlineartjournalvictoria.blogspot.com/.)," my curiousity was immediately piqued and I used the URL you provided to find out what you were on about.

Which is why I read your blog today... FB aggregated & disseminated your information, which in turn brings a reader or two (or three or four or more) to your blog, and suddenly there's more potential for conversation. This holds even for those people who aren't commenting, but simply reading, 'cause they'll "converse" in their heads or with their real-space friends. (Hint: you should use the FB "notes" application and make sure that all your blog entries are also posted to FB as "notes," which brings all your blog entries into your FB friends' "news" stream... :-) And then, if you don't feel like posting a longer entry or anything critical, just post if there's a show on that people should see. Your readers value your pointers & opinions, and will appreciate reminders.)

For those people who wouldn't be caught dead using FB (for whatever reason), figure out other ways to aggregate social information. Aggregation allows information to become more "robust," which is important in a place like Victoria, where lots of stuff still happens without sufficient contextual density.

The broadcasters (Times-Colonist, Vic News, Monday, all that lot) hold power over their particular silo and its subscribers/ readers, but bloggers & online disseminators (no silo!) can be "flatter," faster, and feistier.

Don't stop blogging yet! :)

Oh, PS: I agree with Rob's points, too. I wonder what Michael Williams would make of how UVic is using his bequest.

J.L. said...

Aha! One tiny spontaneous post and I finally get a bit of feedback. Alright, point taken, I have been a bit lame about deciding which side my bread is buttered on vis a vis full-length articles or posts, and I suppose both ought to happen at different venues, with the whole mess linked up...That is sort of what happened with the Mix piece: the posting based on the article is longer and more tangential, hopefully offering readers more to grab hold of...I have often thought of breaking down the longer pieces into a series of ongoing posts, so as to encourage more of a can-opener approach on the reader's part. Maybe we'll see that soon in fact...One way or another I'd like to write my Youds article, so perhaps it will come out as a few ill-advised, tangential posts, that can be later worked up into something more durable...? (For some reason, I am dying to write something ill-advised about that show!)

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! faultlineartjournalvictoria.blogspot.com is one of the best resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. All the best.